RSS Feed
Mr V's Camino

Day 42 – Arzua to O Pedrousa – 19.6km

May 25, 2015 by gerryv   

Day 42 elevation profile

Day 42 elevation profile

We wake up full of excitement and anticipation again today. It is hard to concentrate on the day ahead when we know the final goal is so close. But we set out full of energy, even after nearly 700km. My foot is getting much better and it is good to feel the weight of my pack on my back for the last few days. My knees, however, don’t agree with that sentiment. But, they will just have to put up with it for two more days.

The sunrise out of town is special, the second last one we will experience whilst walking west. These have always been behind us and have been a beautiful send off each day – signalling a time to move forward, but, Β we are looking forward to having the new day break in front of us calling us to experience nice a new day.

God's gift to send us on our way for the day.

God’s gift to send us on our way for the day.

Most of the walk is through some beautiful oak forests as well as our favourite eucalypt groves. We keep an eye out for the milestones and count down the kilometres. Our pace is quite quick, even though the doctor in Triacastela recommended resting every hour or so. But it is good practice for tomorrow as there will be nothing able to slow us down with the anticipated adrenaline rush towards the cathedral square.

The bridges have been so beautiful - even as simple as this.

The bridges have been so beautiful – even as simple as this.

Arriving in O Pedrousa soon after lunch gives us an idea about what time we will arrive in Santiago the next day. I am not sure why that is important to know as I remember our host in Molinaseca telling us, “Go slow, Santiago will still be there whatever time you get there.” So many our our friends are already there, and Cathy and David are going to greet us with great fanfare when we arrive.

Anyway, it is a time to relax, pick up a couple of souvenirs (we haven’t bought any before because we would have to carry them – put an 8 kilo pack on your back and every gram makes a difference).

Getting close now.

Getting close now.

We notice the streets of O Pedrousa, and the track today, were much more congested with pilgrims as we are getting so close to the goal. A good hearty meal and an early bedtime should give us a good start tomorrow.

This way - says our little yellow friend.

This way – says our little yellow friend.

I can’t wait.

24 Comments »

1. Jasmine Kotz says:

When you come back to school you should take the whole school on a trip with you! πŸ™‚

2. Anna and Julie says:

Hey Mr V,
    We didn’t know you had a blog! We saw it in the news letter. Hope you having a great time on your holiday. The bell just rung so we will message you later. πŸ™‚

3. gerryv says:

Hi Jasmine. It would certainly be a big adventure for everyone. It is one everyone should try to do.

4. zoe hole says:

hi Mr V,
    how is your foot looking.

• gerryv says:

My foot is much better. I have a terrific nurse to get me ready to walk each day. I have had to wear sandals for the last 10 days – about 175km.

5. Jazzie H says:

Hi Mr V,
    I hope you are having a terrific trip and that your foot heals up well. Sorry I couldn’t talk to you I was busy doing homework. Anyway I hope you will enjoy your trip.
    Your friend Jasmine H

• gerryv says:

I am glad to hear you are doing your homework. I hope it is not too hard. The Camino would be a great way to study another country and culture. Keep well.

6. Jenny McCallum says:

Thinking of you. Enjoy these special last moments of your journey!

7. Dom S says:

Have you learned some Spanish along the way? Me alegra saber que usted va a estar descansando sus pies cansados pronto! See you soon.

8. Julie and Daphni says:

Hi we’re back!
    Julie- I got a flat tire on my bike so I can’t ride to school. πŸ™ But, my dad is going to teach my how to fix it. πŸ™‚ We all miss you. In year 3/4 science we’re doing magnets.
    Daphni-Hope you are having a great holiday. Nothing much, just hard maths.
    Bye, Julie and Daphni

9. Ciarrocchi's says:

Hi MrV , not long to your home our soccer gala day is on Friday 29th ashame your missing out on the gala day , it travel safe from Jai βš½οΈβš½οΈβš½οΈβš½οΈπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    Hi mr v , it’s Zak here πŸ˜€I’m looking forward to seeing you around the school grounds , it’s been a long time not seeing you , mr Hammond has been great acting as principal .

• gerryv says:

G’day Zac and Jai. We finished our walk yesterday and are resting our tired legs today. I am sad to be missing the gala day too. Good luck. It is good to hear that Mr H is looking after everyone well. See you in term 3. I am looking forward to being home.

10. Ciarrocchi's says:

Mr Vvvvvvvv Gooooooooooo BLUES GO NSW state of orgin is on tonight mums letting us stay up and watch a bit … JAI , gem & Zakky

11. Amelia says:

Hey mr vandermat home to enjoy you trip. Home you dont hurt yourself while Walking. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

12. Jasmine Kotz says:

Hey Mr.V I have some good news! QLD won the first game of State of Origin last night! Congrats! πŸ˜€

13. lulu kuku says:

Hi Mr V
    l hope you are having a good time
    and hope you get better soon

From lulu

14. Hayley . C says:

Hey Mr . V
    How are you?
    Missing your science lessons and the recorder heaps!! Our projects look great πŸ™‚
    What are you up to now that the trek has finished?
    Bye …. – Hayley

• gerryv says:

Thanks Hayley. Yes mission complete. Hope you took lots of pictures of the projects, I would love to see them when I return. We are off to Greece in a few days to relax on the Greek Islands. See you next term. πŸ˜€