RSS Feed
Mr V's Camino

Day 39 – Portamarin to Palas del Rei – 24.7km

May 22, 2015 by gerryv   

Leaving with the beautiful scene behind us

Day 39 - Portomarin-to-Palas-de-Rei-Elevation-Map

We leave Portamarin with a beautiful backdrop and realise that we have only 5 more walking days to Santiago. The walk out of town is quite pretty, through the dairy villages and up another hill.

The cows give way to no one.

The cows give way to no one.

As it flattens out, the trail follows beside the busy road for quite a while and the kilometres become a bit tedious rather than tiring. We meet another Australian fellow from Melbourne who has some interesting stories to share. He walks with a limp, but his pace is as steady as a clock. He had some knee problems early in his Camino – puts my blister into perspective. Everything and everyone makes you look at your own experiences in different ways.

Giving way to the bicycles.

Giving way to the bicycles.

I am sure we will see him in Santiago in a couple of days, steadily marching into the Cathedral square. Buen Camino, Chris from Melbourne.

Resting my foot - doctors orders.

Resting my foot – doctors orders.

We met Derek from Belgium at dinner. He has been riding a bike as his Camino. He had started in Bordeaux, France, and told us how different riding a bike on the Camino is. He did show us his arms and legs. The were covered in bites from bed bugs. I am glad we are staying in a comfortable hotel tonight.

We have less than 70km to go. Four more walking days. Our anticipation is growing as we make plans with friends to meet in Santiago on Tuesday.

»