RSS Feed
Mr V's Camino

Day 34 – Vilafranca del Bierzo to Las Herrerias – 20.6km

May 17, 2015 by gerryv   

Day 34 elevation profile

Day 34 elevation profile

D-day or should that be B-day (blister day). We wake up with a challenge ahead. How are we going to continue our Camino? We have decided to give it a go for a day and see how my foot is at the end. We decide that it would be best to walk without the added impact of weight so we send my pack onto the next stop in a taxi service . Hopefully walking without it will be easier.

We set off at our usual time and I am surprised that I am able to struggle along without too much discomfort in just socks and sandals. It is helpful that most of the way today is alongside a road, on a level path.

We we walk more than half the way with the road on one side of us and a most beautiful stream on the other. The river keeps my spirits high as I begin to struggle with the discomfort. All the fears of yesterday come back and I find myself sobbing again as we walk along. Narelle is a great strength and comfort for me as we stop to rest and have a snack after a couple of hours. We discuss our options and decide to take things slowly and enjoy the countryside. It is beautiful as always.

You are never alone - thanks Narelle.

You are never alone – thanks Narelle.

I have learned the meaning of walking humbly with your God. During today’s walk I became dependent on the strength of others to get me through this adversity. God was with me today in Narelle, for whom I am forever grateful. I only made it to La Herrerias because of her encouragement, her understanding and her love. And by making it to Las Herrerias, I knew I would be able to continue all the way to Santiago.

The locals greet us as we arrive in Las Herrerias.

After settling into our room, we look for somewhere to buy some supplies to change the dressing on my foot. There are no pharmacies or supermarkets in Las Herrerias as we find it is a very small village with lots of dairy cows. Narelle finds the friendly owner of one of the alburgues with the needed supplies, so we redress the foot, go back to the hotel, enjoy the best BBQ steak in all of Spain, then hit the sack – thankful the day is over but not my Camino.

A juicy steak to finish the day.

A juicy steak to finish the day.

»