RSS Feed
Mr V's Camino

Day 11 – Navarette to Najera – 16.4km

April 24, 2015 by gerryv   

Day 11 - Navarette to NajeraOur usual wake up call greets us with clear skies, although the air was quite cool. The walk out of Navarette is quiet and calm. Looking back to the sunrise the sky is criss-crossed with vapour trails from jets way up high – taking other travellers to all parts of the world. It made me think that everybody is on a journey and each has their own reason for undertaking it. I reflected on mine and where it was taking me.

Where are they going?

Where are they going?

The landscape is changing. The rolling hills of canola, wheat and barley are replaced by the endless rows of grape vines. The region of Rioja is famous for the quality its red wine – as I have found out personally.

We stayed in the village of Najera over night where legend has a church that was built into the cliffs where the son of the king followed his hunting falcon into a cave and saw a vision of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

A wonderful museum and church kept us interested for the afternoon. An early night for a longer walk tomorrow to Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
image

»