RSS Feed
Mr V's Camino

Day 41 – Melide to Arzua – 14.3km

May 24, 2015 by gerryv   

Day 41 elevation profile

Day 41 elevation profile

We leave Melide with the anticipation that there will be less than 40km left at the end of the day – only two days walking. We are so excited. But, we must get through this day first. The first big thrill is passing the 50km mark. It is significant because it just is. Anything less than 50 seems so insignificant in comparison to what has been put behind us. The first fifty over the mountains seems so far away, 40 days ago. I am glad to be at this end of the walk, but, my thoughts go to those who are just beginning their journeys and are now experiencing their first fifty. I wish them well.

Wow - almost there.

Wow – almost there.

Our walk today takes us through some lovely back paths through the dairy farms of the region. We are surprised at one stage to be walking through a eucalypt forest – we thought we were back in Blackbutt Reserve.

A beautiful path to follow.

A beautiful path to follow.

Are we back in Australia?

Are we back in Australia?

An early arrival in Arzua gives us time to explore and reflect. It is a town more modern than what we are used to on our journey. The church does not seem to be the focus of the town and it is hard to fit it into the picture of the Spain we have encountered so far. There seems to be a lot more commercial opportunities for townsfolk – though the siesta hours still prevail.

Today we passed a man with one leg who had completed the Camino many times, both on foot and bicycle. I go to sleep thinking of him and hope one day I will have his drive.

A personal drive is most important.

A personal drive is most important.

»